[MPlayer-dev-eng] window title patch

sci-fi at hush.ai sci-fi at hush.ai
Mon Mar 20 22:58:53 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm sorry to barge-in here, but I think I must.  ;)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 03:01:43 -0600 Guillaume POIRIER
<poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/19/06, Danny Milosavljevic
> <danny.milo at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 14.03.2006, 08:30 +0100 schrieb
>> Guillaume POIRIER:
>> > Hi,

>> > The patch doesn't currently work. Here's what I
>> > get at the end of build:
>> >
>> > libvo/libvo.a(x11_common.o): In function
>> > `vo_x11_create_smooth_window':x11_common.c:(.
>> > text+0x21be): undefined reference to
>> > `XpmCreatePixmapFromData' collect2: ld returned
>> > 1 exit status
>> >

>> > I'll try to look into it later on, but if you
>> > could fix this, and resend a patch, that would
>> > be greatly appreciated... I've tried to append
>> > '-lxpm' to the build line, but it didn't change
>> > anything...
>>
>> Append '-lXpm' (big "X").
>>
>> I feel uneasy patching around in Makefiles I
>> didnt write (and thus dont understand the
>> implications completely) :)
>
> The only thing that should be patched is the
> configure script, in order to detect the presence
> of xpm lib. If it's present, code that depend on
> it can be built, and if it's not, it should not be
> built. In the C code, that means that you should
> put some #ifdef CONFIG_XPM around the code that
> uses XPM. On the configure script, you should come
> up with a simple program that uses XPM, which the
> configure script will attempt to build (and
> depending on the success of that build, the symbol
> CONFIG_XPM will be set or not).

ISTM to tell whether "it can be built" would require
that the ./configure _and_ make phases actually be run
within an actual running X-window session actually
(sorry for the redundant words, but I'm trying to
stress a point).  If so, then here is a scenario that
may in fact fail:  The OSX's Terminal and third-party
iTerm apps might be able to utilise this feature (I'd
love to try it myself and submit patches if it doesn't
work) so here would be a scenario that building this
feature would fail, since we don't normally have an
actual X-window session running at all, actually.  IIRC
one trick to alter the Terminal/iTerm window title is a
certain escape-code sequence (as doc'd within ANSI, not
sure), so linking with -lXpm is not absolutely
required either.  Anyway, in our case, might we be able
to do an '--enable-windowtitle' (or whatever) type of
override in the ./configure script?  BTW this feature
might benefit the MPlayerOSX project quite a lot.  :)

> [...]

Thank you.

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485