[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: h264+aac in lavf mp4

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Mon Mar 20 13:02:05 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 15:05 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> Of course it generates PTS from the bitstream. Otherwise the files
> generated would be hopelessly invalid and I would have cvs rm'd the
> file a long time ago to prevent people from using it (or crippled it
> like I did to muxer_lavf).

The reason for me thinking this, is because -of mpeg has been marked
"under development" and "broken" etc. for a long time (although that's
years ago). But indeed I seem to remember Nico fixing all kinds of
things in this area.

> Of course muxer_lavf could use the same approach, but its much more
> difficult since it must support arbitrary (or at least a wide range
> of) codecs instead of just a single codec (mpeg1/2).

Hmmm, indeed it looks mencoder should be re-designed to support all
types of containers and codecs, but a relatively big subset of them,
should be doable with some more kludging, if that's acceptable. I don't
know if it's acceptable to calculate the PTS from the DTS and the frame
type? I am not sure h264 would fit in this model with it's IDR and
pyramid B frames though.