whitespace diffs (was Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] another RGB ordering fix for altivec)

sci-fi at hush.ai sci-fi at hush.ai
Sun Mar 19 01:20:34 CET 2006

Hi,

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 03:46:56 -0600 Ivan Kalvachev
<ikalvachev at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/3/18, Alan Curry <pacman at theworld.com>:
>> Ivan Kalvachev writes the following:
>> > [...]
>> > MPlayer policy is to highly discourage
>> > non-functional/cosmetic changes.
>>
>> And what a wonderful dogma that is! It's probably
>> why mplayer is one of the few packages for which
>> a recursive, indiscriminate `indent --gnu' would
>> be an improvement.
>
> (discouraged < forbidden)
>
> Indeed. I am in favour of automatic indent when
> committing code. Unfortunately we cannot agree on
> what indent options should be used. Some
> developers find indent changes disturbing when
> reviewing patches...

fwiw I most always use 'diff -ubBw' when inspecting
changes and/or submitting my own patches upstream.
(I also try building the current various gnu *tools on
OSX-Tiger myself, not relying on Apple's possibly
back-level versions <g>.)

> (but if we have automatic indent_on_commit then we
> could request patches to be made ignoring white
> spaces... Well maybe when we move to svn)
> Some developers want their tabulating to be
> preserved.
> [...]

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485