[MPlayer-dev-eng] liabf/af.c translatables to help_mp

Alex Beregszaszi alex at fsn.hu
Thu Mar 16 17:51:31 CET 2006

Hi,

> > > What about designing a similar system? Code is better than just ideas, I
> > > will send a small implementation.
> >
> > Attached is a lame implementation.
>
> Because a good system that's completely compatible with MPlayer's
> existing method of using #defines for messages (rather than including
> the literal strings in the source files) already exists and is part of
> posix and is available on every system that has gettext. It's called
> catgets. Support for it has already been discussed and is planned for
> the not-so-distant future.
>
> (catgets also does not have the performance penalty of hashing strings
> or strcmp'ing them to find the translated message like gettext and
> your system do)

You wont get performance penalty once youre not hurting yourself with
translations. If mplayer were mplayer-g2 and a library, we wouldnt even
consider this translation mess. A player application using the library
could do whatever it wants, including translation mess.

Also note that "my system" was writte in 5 minutes and I dont like that
catgets approach, it is basically the same as our macroidiotism but with
support for external translation files.

Alex Beregszaszi	email: alex at fsn.hu
Free Software Network	cell: +36 70 3144424