[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39, Issue 36

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Mar 15 01:54:17 CET 2006

On Tuesday, 14 March 2006 at 09:49, Trent Piepho wrote:

> > > Why was it necessary for you to say that?
> >
> > Because you're behaving like an offended princess. Moreso if you think that
> > statement was insulting.
>
> Who wouldn't?

Well, me, for one. Some other people here, obviously too.

> > > Why was it necessary for Rich to say this?

> > > Why did Dominik need to say that?
> >
> > Because I know some from my relations with some scientists how projects
> > like that are run. Why do you say my remark was insulting?
>
> Someone asks if you're interested in supporting their codec, and it's

Binary closed source codec which isn't widely used already.

> necessary to take turns mocking them and their colleagues?

Ask Rich on that one.

> Being called
> "windoze codec d00dz" or "a misguided group of boffins" isn't insulting?

For me, knowing the context, it was humorous and maybe condescending rather
than insulting.

> I wonder what it takes to rise to that level.

A few years on the Usenet will do.

> > Clearly, you need to develop thicker skin, if you're so easily offended.
> > Yes, some of the developers have a 'cut the crap, I know better' attitude
>
> > so I feel offended by your "they don't care"
> > and "they will just flame you" statements and I expect others feel the
> > same.
>
> Pot. Kettle. Black.

I said I felt offended, but only because what you said was simply untrue.
I don't mind insults, but I do mind lies and sweeping generalizations.

Anyway, since you've apparently ran out of arguments, I'm considering this EOT.
Feel free to reply if you have something constructive to say, though.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression