[MPlayer-dev-eng] Released Aud-X codec DLL

Marek Dziubinski Aud-X marek.dziubinski at aud-x.com
Mon Mar 13 15:54:57 CET 2006

> You need to make one core version of the library, that would do only
> pure encoding and decoding. This code version is then used to build
> win32 dll (dshow,vfw, acm, whatever) and other linux/macosx libraries.
>  Look at xvid.org project to see the basic idea. Having separate
> version for each platform is big NO-NO.

> The api is completely at your hands,  you are free to implement is as
> you  wish (however using already tested api as lame, libac52,libdts
> may give you some insight about what is expected).

> It would be more than wise if you try to integrate the linux version
> in FFMpeg's libavcodecs, as they are already used by nearly all open
> players and even some closed one (ffmpeg is LGPL).

> Now to change the subject. I find your claims that you had used lame
> mp3 for compatibility reasons quite disturbing. We would like you to
> give more details how you have used it.

> The problem is that LGPL code allows linking with nonfree software,
> but it doesn't allow ripping part of code and using it in your closed
> program.

Thanx for all the remarks.
Indeed, this is a sort of mp3 extention.
The Aud-X algorithm could be an extention to any format,
because it contains the main audio data (mono or stereo stream, merged from
6 channels),
and some auxiliary information how to 'unmerge' the downmix.
It uses mp3 compression due to the popularity of this format.
(this also allows for mp3 backwards compatiblity)

Marek.