[MPlayer-dev-eng] Released Aud-X codec DLL

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 13 12:48:40 CET 2006

Marek Dziubinski Aud-X wrote:
> I.e. I am 100% sure the software codec will be kept free for all the users,
> but the owners want to integrate it in the hardware equipment in the far
> future.

hardware manifacturers won't have problems in ripping the compiled stuff
and put it in their hardware, no point in having the code closed.

> And since it is oriented on very long distance (several years), this results
> in the resources limitations... I am pretty much sure that if it will be
> released
> in hardware DVD players, the code (decoder at least) will be published.

keep in mind that there are enough smart people to rev-eng this if is
enough interesting, if you don't have enough manpower to make it a
success now you may opensource it using a hybrid license (eg GPL+payme)
and have more people helping out and at the same time the ability to
sell something to the narrowminded crow.

Those are just friendly advices, having to support closed codecs is
against our rules so we cannot/won't spend our time on it if nobody has
strong interests or is a must for interoperability.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC