[MPlayer-dev-eng] gl & distorted fisheye for dome projection

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jun 29 10:44:59 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:27:58AM +0200, Johannes Gajdosik wrote:
> I assume a "vertex program" is a GPU program, correct?

Yes.

> Can you also please explain how "store in a texture and use a lookup"
> works? Perhaps customtex already accomplishes my task,
> in this case my humble apology for disturbing.

Actually you could accomplish this with customprog and customtex,
probably with much higher quality than the current approach. Though I
have to admit that IIRC it will mean that you have to use either ATI or
nVidia binary drivers and a not too old graphics card (basically the
same as for -vo gl:yuv=2).

> You seem to mean some kind of lookup-table-texture: the value of a pixel
> in the texture would not just be RGB, but instead it would be a pointer
> to a position inside the source image. Is such a thing possible?

(This is for the GPU-Programming approach) Yes, though you'd probably also
want the brightness in there.
But whatever the implementation I guess getting the cases where a black
boder is added or the OSD is used would be problematic. Though this
might be not really relevant *g*

> GPU programming would be interesting, of course, but I would also like
> to keep compatibility with many graphic cards.

I understand that, but I don't think such special-purpose code (and I
expect it to be quite a lot of code) to be suitable for inclusion in a
standard MPlayer version.

Greetings,
Reimar Doeffinger