[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: gl & distorted fisheye for dome projection

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Wed Jun 28 03:52:22 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:49:42PM +0200, Johannes Gajdosik wrote:
[..]
> Now I would like to extend the mplayer gl output driver, so that it
> can also optionally distort a fisheye video for projection in spheric
> mirror planetariums.
[..]

As Rich as already mentioned, it would be very nice to have this
implemented in a vf so that it would be avaible to many.  At the
same time however I do feel that it would be nice to have a way to
move the workload over to the GL for those that can, although the
implementation itself doesn't really seem to belong inside a vo.

So, rather than implement this within a gl* vo, couldn't the spherical
texture be created by an external program and the handle for that
texture then get passed to the gl vo (via mplayer command line) to use
in place of the one the gl vo would create on its own?  that seems like
a much more general approach to using/extending the functionality of the
gl vo that could accomplish what you're looking for.

Though I should mention that my knowledge of GL is almost zero, so I
can't say that I know that this sort of thing would even be possible.
Any GL knowledgeable persons on this list are welcome to chime in. :)