[MPlayer-dev-eng] gl & distorted fisheye for dome projection

Johannes Gajdosik johannes.gajdosik at gmx.at
Tue Jun 27 23:49:42 CEST 2006

Dear developers,

Please excuse my jumping in with what might is a primitive question for you.

Some people want to project fisheye movies onto the inside of their domes.
This can eighter be done with a fisheye projector - which is quite expensive -
or with an ordinary projector, that projects its image onto a
spheric security mirror which in turn reflects the image onto the whole dome.
Of course in this case the image must be pre-distorted,
so that it looks correct when distorted by the spheric mirror.
This can be easily done in realtime by means of OpenGl.

For the stellarium project (www.stellarium.org) I have already
developed the so called spheric-mirror distorion, which is available
since version 0.8.0, and which performs exactly this task
for the stellarium fisheye image.

Now I would like to extend the mplayer gl output driver, so that it
can also optionally distort a fisheye video for projection in spheric
mirror planetariums.

I am not quite sure how to proceed.

1) should I use gl output driver or gl2 output driver?
   Is one of them obsolete? I would prefer ordinary gl,
   because it is simpler.

2) there are a lot of parameters needed for parameterization
   of the projection geometry (dome radium,mirror radius, mirror position,
   projector position,...)
   Can I just extend the existing list of parameters with my own?

3) I would like that my work becomes part of the official mplayer source,
   so that it is present in future releases. How should I proceed?

Best of all would be for me send my patch(es) to Arpad Gereoffy
- or whoever is responsible for the gl video output driver -
who would have a look at it, and could finally commit it to the source tree.

Yours,
Johannes