[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp4, vfr and timestamps

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jun 15 22:54:27 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:19:39PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 21:17 +0200, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> > I thought it was obvious from my first email that I'm using x264 (to
> > demux the video data from my own file format, encode and mux it into
> > mp4), and x264 uses gpac for mp4 output.
> >
> > However, it required some patching because x264 doesn't support vfr out
> > of the box.
>
> Then I think Michael's comment was about x264 not supporting vfr by
> default and you can ignore it if you've already overcome that obstacle
> (unless he clarifies the meaning of his comment and says he meant
> something else).

hmm, i thought he used mencoder or ffmpeg to generate vfr .mp4, neither
supports it, for ffmpeg changing a few lines should fix that ...

no i dunno about x264/gpac and vfr, maybe they support it, maybe not
just because 1 player works doesnt mean the resulting .mp4 is correct
if dts or pts (apple/iso lamers call it cts) is wrong while the other
is correct half of the players will fail to maintain av sync

[...]