[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp4, vfr and timestamps

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Thu Jun 15 15:09:53 CEST 2006

Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> ... The comment I've seen in the doom9 forums seemd to be true: You
> think mp4 is the worst container format on this world and thus you
> don't want to support it.

it's the second worst: it's a dream come true compared to ogg

> vlc plays the file corectly, Windows Media Player plays the file
> corectly, only mplayer ignores the CTS (composition timestamps).

are you sure? There's code to assign pts in demux_mov.c, although I
didn't check if it's correct.

> On a sidenote, so far, trying to create a truely VFR video file, the
> only container format that works fine with mplayer is matroska, but
> since I want to make the video available to others (including those
> living in the windows world) that isn't really an option. And AVI
> seems to require hacks for VFR video streams and I don't want to use
> hacks when we have a container format that supports VFR out of the box
> (or has it in the specification).
>
> tom

mencoder can't deal correctly with vfr, whatever format you want it to
output

 Sponsor:
 Refill srl il paradiso della tua stampante - cartucce e toner compatibili, inchiostri e accessori per la ricarica, carta speciale. Tutto a prezzi scontatissimi!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=5187&d=15-6