[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp4, vfr and timestamps

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Thu Jun 15 12:16:59 CEST 2006

... The comment I've seen in the doom9 forums seemd to be true: You
think mp4 is the worst container format on this world and thus you don't
want to support it.

vlc plays the file corectly, Windows Media Player plays the file
corectly, only mplayer ignores the CTS (composition timestamps).

On a sidenote, so far, trying to create a truely VFR video file, the
only container format that works fine with mplayer is matroska, but
since I want to make the video available to others (including those
living in the windows world) that isn't really an option. And AVI seems
to require hacks for VFR video streams and I don't want to use hacks
when we have a container format that supports VFR out of the box (or has
it in the specification).

tom