[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer for Nokia 770 (was: MPEG audio pass-through fake decoder)

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 20:44:49 CEST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 21:10, Luca Barbato wrote:

> > I'm currently preparing MPlayer port for Nokia 770. Port page is here:
> > https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mplayer/
> >
> > A discussion of this port in the forum is here:
> > http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405
> >
> > Now about the issue, Nokia 770 is a very hardware limited device, but has
> > a dualcore CPU. One core is ARM and the other is DSP. Most programs
> > including MPlayer use only ARM core (programming for DSP core is not so
> > easy as there is no gcc for it, in addition it is 16-bit CPU).
>
> So is it supposed to be programmed in native asm, there is at least a
> binutils port?

It is supposed to be programmed using Texas Instruments proprietary toolchain:
http://dspgateway.sourceforge.net/pub/index.php?Page=Get_Started

Though I was told that there are also free DSP tools for linux (but did not
try them yet):
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18338&postcount=30

Anyway, OMAP DSP programming does not look free software developement
friendly. The most easy way to utilize DSP is to use MP3 decoder module
developed by Nokia which is available on the device. And it proves to be
quite useful:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18863&postcount=38

I know, it looks like a weird idea to use Gstreamer from MPlayer to accelerate
something (naturally it would be just extra overhead in other circumstances),
but Gstreamer is the only documented way to play MP3 audio using DSP core
on Nokia 770 at the moment :)