[MPlayer-dev-eng] direct rendering disabled for lavc h264

elupus elupus at ecce.se
Fri Jul 21 13:31:59 CEST 2006

> Have fun making all the vo drivers support it, and vf.c...
> Really, although this may be reasonably useful for
> performance, it will make MPlayer's video layer even uglier,
> having one additional buffering scheme hack in there. I won't
> directly rule it out right now but I'd be hesitant to see
> something like this committed to MPlayer just due to the huge
> complexity bloat it would add. An H.264-specific hack would
> be much much larger than the current "simple IPB" hack in place.

Would it really be that bad? Generally ffmpeg will do a reget on a buffer it
needs again, shouldn't be to hard to handle in the buffer broker to make
sure it get's the same image as before by storing some identifier in the
ffmpeg buffer structure (or by just examining the data pointer). Then the
buffer broker in mplayer could set a flag indicating to vo that this is a
reget of a previous buffer, and thus it needs to return the same buffer as
before wich it could also do by priv data in the mpi structure.

I'm not sure how well that would work with filters that do their work in
get_image, but for a vo only situation I think it would work, might be
missing something fundamental thou.

/Joakim