[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mp4 PSP tags

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:06:49 CEST 2006

Matteo Croce wrote:
> with ffmpeg i can't encode audio and video separately as h264 quality is
> much better when done with mencoder/x264 and with mencoder i get broken mp4
> since lavf is broken.

x264 quality is (mostly, due to missing options) independent of using it FFmpeg,
MPlayer or the x264 cli. I wrote some incomplete notes on using x264 in FFmpeg
here: http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php?active=3&subactive=1   Please alter them
as necessary.

Also note that FFmpeg uses libavformat so if "lavf is broken" then you're not
going to have any more luck with FFmpeg than you are with MPlayer.

Regards,
Rob