[MPlayer-dev-eng] gl & distorted fisheye for dome projection

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Jul 1 11:42:10 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 11:05:01AM +0200, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> I would suggest to not use the assambler-like shaders but the OpenGL Shading
> Language supported from OpenGL 1.4 and newer. It is heavily based on C.

The infrastructure to support it is bloated, many existing compilers
still seem to regularly produce broken code, and it is hard to create
code that will run with acceptable speed at e.g. ATI X600 class
hardware. Or IOW: IMHO for the hardware I have (and probably everyone not
much into gaming or highperformance-computing), assembler is the right
language.

> I think we need vertex-shaders and fragment-shaders. This is usefull even in
> the case the code draws a single quadrangle for texturing it.

For this, no. It will not even give significant performance gains I'd
guess. Actually, due to the complexity of the formulas, I don't see any
way to use vertex-shaders in a useful way.

> Vertex-shaders and Fragment-shaders are one unit - the vertex-shader has to
> set the variables which should be interpolated by the rastering stage of the
> pipline and passed to the fragment-shader.

Huh? They are very different things, each with it's special purpose. For
some things one is better, for other things the other. Fact is,
vertex-shaders need additional code.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger