[MPlayer-dev-eng] Seeking beta testers for libnut!

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:29:02 CET 2006

2006/1/27, Oded Shimon <ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org>:
> Well, it works for me. :)
>
> I'm asking everyone to test libnut as much as possible... tell me about
> assert failure, crashes, any other weird problems, bad seeks.
>
> Don't bother feeding libnut even slightly broken avi files, it will not
> tolerate them.
>
> As for broken NUT files, well, truncated files will work just fine, but
> other invalid files probably won't work well. Tell me if it works, don't
> bother telling me if it doesn't.
>
> Most importantly, check seeking, seeking should be percise and never result
> in a position higher than requested pts.
>
> If you see the error "NUT error: Cannot seek to that position.", when you
> made a small seek and the video gets a bunch of mpeg-4 artifacts, don't
> bother telling me, it's a bug in mplayer, not in libnut. libnut couldn't
> find a keyframe closer to position you requested then the position you are
> at right now, so it failed. No way to inform mplayer about a failed seek,
> and it craps out the video...
That's your bug not mplayer.

I had stated before that you must implement both backward (aka
precise) and forward seeking.

The backward seeking is when you prefer keyframe before requested pts.
Forward is when you prefer frame after the requested pts (in case you
cannot get exact pts). This also applies when you want to seek
backward or forward, you choose corresponding backward or forward
seeking so you will get away from the current position.
We don't want WMP behaviour where seeking 5 seconds ahead takes 4.5 seconds.