[MPlayer-dev-eng] LAVF muxer status

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 26 06:54:36 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:35:27AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 06:19:07PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 08:53:09PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > As many probably have alraedy seen iam trying to fix lavf muxing currently
> > > so now is the best time to report bugs with lavf muxing! iam out of known
> > > bugs ATM (excluding b frames of course, and a few which affect ffmpeg too)
> >
> > I assume by B frames you mean the lack of AVParser support?
>
> yes and no, feeding the packets through a AVParser in the muxer is wrong, the

I agree, but it would be a cheap hack to make it work with MEncoder's
broken design.

> timestamps should be passed from demuxer -> [decoder -> [filters] -> encoder]->
> and if needed a AVParser should be put between demuxer and decoder
>
> but iam significantly too lazy to implement any of that though its probably
> easier then it looks ...

In MPlayer/MEncoder? IMO it's at least as hard as it looks and
possibly much harder. :( The current demuxer/timestamp architecture is
horribly wrong. But then again you always have brilliant solutions
that make hard problems seem simple (except for the NUT thing which
seems to have no solution... >_<) so why not give it a try?

Rich