[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT (informal) proposal, based on discussions

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 20 18:40:02 CET 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:59:25PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> > BTW, does anyone have a good idea for efficient but simple data structure
> > for decoded index?... The naive way requires
> > streams*syncpoints*sizeof(uint64_t) memory, which is too much. (5mb of
> > ram?..) Any other idea I can think of requires some complication for
> > just using the values or changing them... (I still want the ability to
> > dynamically build the index while playing)
>
> 5mb? i came up with 10mb for a 4gb 10stream file, and for thouse now shouting
> 10mb isnt an issue for 4gb files, it is a big issue as thats RAM and a DVD
> player shouldnt need 10mb RAM for the index

I've told Oded many times, this is ONLY an implementation issue for
his implementation. Anyone else can just store the binary image of the
nut index in memory (or seek to it and read it again every time it's
needed) and parse it directly to seek. This is very efficient (on the
matter of the constant, not the big-O) since there are no timebase
conversions.

Rich