[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT (informal) proposal, based on discussions

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 18 18:41:40 CET 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:29:36PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:36:07PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > >
> > > some rule like:
> > > there must be no interval of max_distance in which any stream has a keyframe
> > > but no back ptr anywhere including outside this intervall pointing to any
> > > keyframe of that stream in the interval
> > >
> > > in our case above both K2 and K15 would need some syncpoints pointing to
> > > them to fullfill this ...
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand this rule, but I think it comes at relatively
> > high implementation cost in muxer...
>
> hmm, lets see
> 1. keep track of the last keyframe of every stream (easy)
> 2. keep track of the keyframe which was the target of the last back_ptr
>    of every stream (easy)
> 3. if last_keyframe != last_target && current_keyframe - last_target > max_dist
>         write syncpoint;
>         last_target= last_keyframe= current_keyframe;

I'm still not 100% sure I understand, but if I'm not mistaken, this still
fails - when writing this syncpoint, it might still point to 'last_target'
instead of 'last_keyframe' because of dts/pts stuff...

last_target = pts 10
last_keyframe = pts 15
current_keyframe = pts 20

current dts = 13

writing a syncpoint will still point to last_target. Or did I completely
miss something. (Also don't forget, for your back_ptr method we need to
buffer several keyframes, not just the last one.)

- ods15