[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer package for Debian

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Jan 17 13:10:25 CET 2006

Hi

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:20:07AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 05:46:31PM +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> >
> >  "deb http://tonelli.sns.it/pub/mplayer/sarge ./"
> > contains the binaries that I usually prepare, for Debian 3.1
> > a.k.a. sarge ; these do not contain all the upstream code, and in
> > particular do not contain the libmpdvdkit (for fear of patent infringment)
>
> You are completely confused here...
>
> The problems surrounding libmpdvdkit are *NOT* about patents, the
> problem is libdvdcss, which is problematic (or at least alleged to be)
> in some jurisdictions, if you interpret CSS to be a copy protection
> measure.
>
> Please get your arguments straight, there are so many misunderstandings
> surrounding MPlayer.  If you add to the confusion we're never going to
> get them straightened out.

a little generic comment id like to make is that
there are so many new laws which simply serve only large companies and
which are often passed and spoken about with completely false claims and
justifications that its not surprissing noone understands this stuff

furthermore only the big bosses of these large companies, not even their
average employee, the later couldnt care less if he works for one of 3 huge
monopolistic companies or one of 100 small ones benefits from these laws
IMHO at least

[...]

--
Michael