[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Apple's -fast switch for gcc-4.0.1 fails "make depend" everywhere

sci-fi at hush.ai sci-fi at hush.ai
Sun Jan 15 01:36:22 CET 2006

Hi,

On Sat Jan 14 13:50:35 CET 2006,
Derek E. Lewis (dlewis at solnetworks.net) said:
>> Using -fast, the "make depend" phases of mplayer
>> will fail everywhere.  Apparently Apple's gcc-4.0.1
>> can't process more than one file in this mode.
>
> I've encountered no problems of the such when
> building on OS X Tiger with Xcode 2.2.

I specify the -fast flag in CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, and
CXXFLAGS exported environment vars.

Another thing I do is to export
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="10.4"
and
SDKROOT="/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk"
to make sure we are using the 10.4u SDK only.

Then run "./configure" to make sure those flags are
inserted into all of the appropriate files for "make" to
use.

I am thinking the 10.4u SDK has some settings in it that
affect how -M and -E work with -fast.  With the gcc-3.3
compiler, there is a completely separate version of gcc
called gcc-fast along with different "heuristics", but I
can't find such under gcc-4.x and/or 10.4u, or I would
try changing them myself to see what is going on here.

>> I'll install Xcode 2.2.1 asap and see what happens
>> with it.  But for meantime, could someone elaborate
>> if there is another method to side-step this
>> limitation, please?
>
> I've not heard of Xcode 2.2.1 -- it's not available
> on the ADC site, anyways.  The most recent Xcode
> available is Xcode 2.2 from 10 November 2005.

It's right there under "What's New".

Are you looking at the ADC site itself?
https://connect.apple.com/
I just checked, still available.

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485