[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT [new simplification, lower overhead]

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 5 21:22:05 CET 2006

OK instead of just flaming I'm going to try to be useful. Here is a
proposal to reduce the size and complexity of the index:

syncpoint_rel_pos                       v
keyframe_bitmask                        v
for (i=0; i<nstreams; i++)
    if (keyframe_bitmask & (1<<i))
        stream_pts                      v

Feel free to incorporate existing methods of compressing stream_pts.
The basic idea is that back_ptr is redundant information and need not
be included in the index. It's sufficient to know, for each stream,
whether that stream has had a keyframe since the last syncpoint
(indicated by keyframe_bitmask). From this information you can
reconstruct back_ptrs for each stream as long as you've already read
the earlier part of the index.

IIRC this is similar to something Michael or maybe Ivan proposed a
long time ago, or maybe the same.

There may be a way we can eliminate per-stream pts in the
syncpoints/index and still get the perfect seeking I want but I'm not
sure. Would a solution that possibly adds rules for syncpoint
placement or frame ordering be acceptable, provided it doesn't
increase overhead?

Rich