[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Jan 5 15:44:28 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> wait a second, the goal is 10kb/hr index not 500kb read mpcf.txt

10Kb/h doesn't mean much, I'd rephrase it. (depending on the sample
reate it isn't feasible or trivial)

> what does the _end_user_ gain from that requirement in practice?

If the user is using ad editor, much, if the user wants just to play a
stream nothing...

> furthermore we havnt thought about error resistance of these features its
> part of the goals, and being ignored entirely
> what if a the pts or back ptrs are damaged? how do we ensure recovery of
> the demuxer?

Good point =)

> i really dont want to flame but every few month iam being confronted with a
> new set of 3-5 requirements which are absolute and undisscussable and which
> nut must conform too while everything else is not worth even mentioning

Right =)

My reply was just to cut some discussions about goals that are reached
already and features that could be postponed or just moved to a specific
format.

Could we just release a bare nut and keep some niche features for
specific usages? IIRC nut was planned to be extendible beside a certain
baseline.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero