[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Jan 5 13:20:27 CET 2006

Oded Shimon wrote:

> pure numbers:

[snip]

> with 2 subtitles streams, in the high bitrate file, you have 997386 bytes
> overhead not including index. The spec says:
> ~0.2% overhead, for normal bitrates
> That's 1.5mb for this file, so I'd say we're still doing better than even
> our goals say. (Index will certainely not be 500kb..)

The demuxer works as expected? How many cycles uses for decoding, less
than mkv? If yes I'd move to other questions, since the target is reached.

> With pathological 10 subtitle streams, I suspect the index will be 400kb
> (I still need to check this, I'll work on that later today), grand total
> 2mb overhead for this file. Given it's 10 subtitle streams after all, IMO
> it's not that bad. (without any funky subtitles, mkv gave 1.5mb overhead
> for this file when using lacing, and 2.25mb without)

Since is a corner case the possibilities are:

1- redefine the spec and point out that issue.
2- spend more time on the issue to get about a 1/4 improvement for a
feature probably 1/10^6 files will use and for which tar probably does a
quite better job...

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero