[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 3 13:25:28 CET 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:04:49PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:05:47AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > just pts in global timebase:     Syncpoints: 27674 size: 315730
> > single back_ptr and pts:         Syncpoints: 27678 size: 391804
> > single pts, per stream back_ptr: Syncpoints: 27675 size: 441061
> > The above spec:                  Syncpoints: 27676 size: 459898
>
> well my critique against this is that you have choosen the testcase so your
> method will have least overhead
> why not try low bitrate (phone modem speed) with a few subtitle streams
>
> i really think its unfair that you guys attack my suggestions with non
> existing weird stuff like non one-in one-out codecs on tape while your
> stuff is shown in the most ideal case :)

Hmm, I agree. Well, unfortunately nutmerge is yet to surpport subtitles,
but here is my best attempt.

This is a 621MB 4.5 hours avi (481768 video frames, average 670 bytes per
video frame, 480 bytes per audio frame).
(BTW, it was 2.3mb crappy video that I just repeated over and over :)
It has audio and video streams, and 2 additional fake streams which give 1
5 byte keyframe every 100 video frames with the exact same pts as video at
that point, and have the same timebase as video. Is this is a good fake
subtitle stream? (4 streams total)

The results:
just single pts:             Syncpoints: 19315 size: 229235
single back_ptr and pts:     Syncpoints: 19315 size: 276897
per stream back ptr and pts: Syncpoints: 19321 size: 452250

AVI for this file had 25mb (heh) of overhead, and mkv had 7.6mb of
overhead, and niether of these had the fake "subtitle" streams.

NUT had a total of 2.2mb overhead (with 1-2 byte packet headers, the packet
headers overhead was over 1.5mb!). Note how even using the simplest
syncpoint method doesn't reduce the overhead by much, as the syncpoint
aren't the lead overhead here. (Which is surprising because in the previous
file the syncpoints were about 60-70% of the overhead)

IMO this is a rediculous file (subtitles in a low bitrate video?), but I
think it prooves that even with my additional overhead, NUT still rocks.

If you have another suggestion for a test case please give it.

- ods15