[MPlayer-dev-eng] ppc runtime-cpu-detection fails with gcc 3.3

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sun Feb 26 01:01:43 CET 2006

Rich Felker wrote:

> I for one consider this a much more graceful approach. ASM is a
> standard language, albeit cpu-specific.

> Apple's and GCC's hacks and
> extensions on top of the C language are proprietary, incompatible, and

all the involved compiler support a proper subset of it (namely the only
issue is the constant vector functioncast that isn't supported in C by
gcc-fsf, the rest is pretty common on the 3 compilers, using array style
cast is supported in the same way by every compiler.)

> Also, with GCC's notoriously bad code generation, hand-coded asm loops
> will probably be measurably faster too.

and less easy to read and debug, not to mention the temptation to
wrestle the abi and the fact you don't know which is the best schedule
for which cpu resulting in code that isn't that faster but surely not
readable.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero