[MPlayer-dev-eng] How to compile Mplayer.dll under Windows?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 14:14:34 CET 2006

j y wrote:

> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, 20 February 2006 at 08:04, j y wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I want to write a frontend for MPlayer, but I don't want to
>>> launch mplayer as another program, I want to compile MPlayer as a
>>> library, and I can load this library in my own program, is it
>>> possible? if so, how to compile and how to use?
>>
>> There's no MPlayer library yet. Take a look at one of the many
>> Windows frontends listed on the "related projects" page and read
>> the documentation about MPlayer's slave mode.
>
> Thank you.
> I've looked those projects, and I find problems that there are two
> programs run if we launch one of these projects,
> I want to run mplayer and the frontend in one program.
> Don't konw how to do, puzzling.

As Dominik just told you, there is no MPlayer library right now; what
you want is not currently possible, and short of major redesign and
revamping of the entire code base I'm not sure how it could *become*
possible (given just how much of the work appears to be done in the main
loop(s)).

That said, MPlayer makes a few of its internal capabilities into
allegedly 'separate' libraries (libmpdemux, for instance); how well
those would be able to compile independently of the rest of the program
I don't know, but you may be able to make use of them elsewhere.

Also, even if those libraries turn out to be unusable except when other
parts of MPlayer's code is present, you may want to take a look at
libavcodec, libavformat and libavutil; they are independent libraries
made available by FFmpeg, and underlie a significant fraction (though by
no means all) of MPlayer's functionality.

I'm a little unsure why you would have such a *need* to run only one
program, rather than taking functionality where you can get it; if that
is in fact an absolute requirement for you, then you're going to have to
make sacrifices in other areas, and you will not get as much
functionality as you would otherwise.

As a separate note, please don't top-post. I've reordered the quoting,
above, for my sanity's sake. (Also, it's a good idea to break lines at
somewhere between 70 and 80 characters, and include blank lines between
paragraphs; the blank lines should be preserved properly when quoting,
where simple indentation may not.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.