[MPlayer-dev-eng] [POLICY] clarify conditions for functionality removal

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 14:24:01 CET 2006

2006/2/10, Reimar at mplayerhq.hu <Reimar at mplayerhq.hu>:
> Hi,
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 02:25:09PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> > So I am restoring cpu speed detection and this time it could be
> > optionally disabled, so there is no reason for it to be removed.
>
> It was already removed and there was no big outcry about it. Also it
> needs to be updated all the time to have any use besides being annoying
> and irritating. A version that defaults to off might be acceptable, but
> unless we find a maintainer for it, it will output only crap for most
> CPUs in a few years.

Users doesn't cry for it because It is mostly useful for bugreports.
This cpu speed detector is also sensible to throttling (that is not
visible in /proc/cpu) and other interference that also disturb normal
instruction execution.
The code works perfectly fine on amd64. I don't see why it would not
work on future processors?
By Deigo words it doesn't need maintainance.