[MPlayer-dev-eng] TSC on Linux

Liviu Daia Liviu.Daia at imar.ro
Fri Feb 10 02:12:40 CET 2006

    MPlayer dev-CVS-060210-02:15-3.4.5 on Linux 2.4.32.

    I recently upgraded my CPU to a dual core one, and because of a bug
in the 2.4 Linux kernels I had to disable TSC.  After that, MPlayer
started crashing upon reading various WMV files, which used to play fine
with the old CPU.

    I traced the problem to the localcount_stub() and longcount_stub()
functions in loader/win32.c, which enable the TSC versions of
localcount() and longcount() based on CPUID.  Forcing the notsc versions
of these functions fixes the crash.  You might consider adding a check
at that point, verifying that TSC is not only supported phisically by
the CPU but also enabled in the kernel.  On Linux, that would be an
equivalent of:

	grep -w '^flags.* tsc' /proc/cpuinfo

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia