[MPlayer-dev-eng] altivec patch 1/5: missing vec_splat in vec_clip

Alan Curry pacman at TheWorld.com
Wed Feb 8 08:06:27 CET 2006

Luca Barbato writes the following:

>Alan Curry wrote:
>> If writing them all out the long way is acceptable, I'll change it and test
>> it and diff it again. I only chose the vec_splat because that's what was
>> already in use, throughout the rest of that same source file. It's a minimal
>> change to get things working and looking consistent.
>
>better add another macro like AVV probably.

The advantage to the current way is that the same macro can be used with any
vector type whereas the long form intializer {x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x} would only be
good for shorts. vec_clip won't be so neatly generalized anymore. I assume
any such modifications should be confined within #if GCC (or a check added to
configure, to #define HAVE_BROKEN_VECTOR_LITERALS)

>> Anyone with gcc-4.x want to find out if this has been fixed?
>> gcc -maltivec -abi=altivec this:
>>

>bogus as expected.

So is it a deliberate but undocumented difference? Has it been discussed on
gcc's mailing list at any point? I've learned that when I think I've found a
compiler bug, I should think again...