[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: libcdio support "almost" there (Re: still more MacOS X build issues: "__attribute__" stuff)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Dec 4 21:46:45 CET 2006

Hello,
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 04:32:44AM -0600, sci-fi at hush.ai wrote:
[...]
Sorry for extensive snipping, but this is too much (and partially
unrelated) stuff to treat it all.

> Speaking of pkg-config, libcddb does install a *.pc file but no
> related *-config script AFAICS.  If mplayer's autodetection is
> not using pkg-config to sniff it out, then here again we're not
> using the methods they intend to be used.

AFAICT libcddb is not used at all and in any way by MPlayer, so I wonder
why all this effort is needed?

> As for read_toc, I said on this list a while back that I think
> the mplayer VCD logic for Darwin (which works) ought to be
> enough to make the read_toc routine work, too.  But tieing

I just smelled the disgusting smell of excessive code duplication while
looking at that code. I'm still sick from it :-(. Someone bored enough
to get out the broom and clean it up?

> libcdio into this, I have already showed earlier in this thread
> that libcdio's cd-info tool _does_ look-up the CDDB info
> properly while running on OSX.  I wonder why we are mixing-up
> these functions -- seems we really do not need a read_toc in
> mplayer if we just use libcdio's or cdparanoia's (once the
> "inline" problems are fixed) already working routines for CDDB,
> ...and I've been one to ask why re-invent the wheel in numerous
> little replies around here & elsewhere...  ;)

well, in this case the code has been "reinvented" already a long time
ago, also if cdparanoia does not provide these same functions it could
end up being a similar amount of pain.

> One last little quibble:  CDDB is suppose to mean the database
> systems & protocols used to look-up CD album-titles, artists,
> track-titles (songs), etc. etc. etc. by using a magic number
> computed from the CD itself (let's not get more technical than
> that, I do know about it ;) ).  I think the nomenclature you're
> using for e.g. _cddb is clashing at times.  Likewise with CDDA
> which stands for CD Digital Audio.  Both cd-paranoia and
> libcdio provide CDDA _and_ CDDB functions... See what I mean?

Actually I know for sure that libcdio can (and in my case is) built
without cddb support, so these are different things.

> When you say "using cddb instead of cdda" it doesn't make sense
> if one didn't know we're talking about mplayer's configure
> logic and that alone.  This ought to be clarified somehow...
> but how...

No, I am talking about cddb support in MPlayer in general.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger