[MPlayer-dev-eng] MSGTR messages for vid/aid in non-verbose output?

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Sun Dec 3 15:56:25 CET 2006

On 2 Dec 2006 23:44, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 03:03:53PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> > How about to add messages about found vid/aid numbers to
> > standart (non-verbose) mplayer output? for examle:
> > "video stream detected, vid %d"
> > "audio stream detected, aid %d"
> > regardless to the container format.
> > I can make appropriate patch, if this will be allowed.
>
> Such a patch would be very much welcome.  Especially for AVI
> files we currently do not print any hint that it may contain
> multiple audio tracks.  AFAIK all other demuxers do, though.

I've made a quick overview in libmpdemux/* and it seems that not
only AVI demuxer won't print non-verbose messages about different
streams. The only demuxers providing such information are demux_ogg
and demux_mkv. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So my suggestion is to add appropriate messages directly into
demuxer.c, so they will be uniform despite of the demuxer type.
IMHO this will be usefull to user. OTOH this may make an overhead
of usefull information in the cases when format's dexuxer provides
this information also (such as demux_ogg and demux_mkv). Therefore
must be some check for demuxer type in order to realize necessity
of such message. I made this check to skip printing message in the
case of ogg or mkv demuxer.

Well, patch attached. The second one is russian translation for new
messages.

BTW, I have noticed that there are a lot of translatable messages
with level below MSGL_V in libmpdemux/* (and in MPlayer code in
general) which are not present in master file help/help_mp-en.h
and are not translated. Is it ok to start extracting them into
help_mp-en.h?