[MPlayer-dev-eng] Do we need to check for CPU types with --enable-runtime-cpudetection?

Zuxy Meng zuxy.meng at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 07:04:56 CET 2006

Hi,

2006/12/3, Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev at gmail.com>:
> I'm against removal of this from bswap.h. It have nothing to do with
> runtime cpu detection.
>
> 386 cpu is the minimal cpu that support usable protected mode.
> It may be true that its speed is not usable for anything, but it would be the
> lowest cpu to be implemented by emulation engine.
>
> Indeed the most popular emulators like qemu or valgrind does support
> newer CPU's but still...

Do you mean that if mplayer is to be run by such emulators, it has to
be compiled with march=i386? There's no runtime support to detect
whether bswap is available.

> No objection.

One more question: for ppc if a user provide both
--enable-runtime-cpudetect and --disable-altivec, runtime cpu
detection is disabled. But for x86, a user can at the same time enable
runtime cpu detection and disable e.g. mmx, sse, etc., which will lead
to link error (some routines required for runtime dispatch are not
built). How do we handle this? Should we check this in configure?

--
Zuxy
Beauty is truth,