[MPlayer-dev-eng] Do we need to check for CPU types with --enable-runtime-cpudetection?

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 21:33:39 CET 2006

2006/12/2, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 03:15:37AM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:

> > >I don't really care.  Would MPlayer run on a 386?  Is there anything it
> > >could play on such a machine?
> >
> > If we set it to i486, we're guaranteed to run with bswap instruction
> > available; we then can remove iproc in configure and  "#if __CPU__ >
> > 386" in bswaps.h, too.

I'm against removal of this from bswap.h. It have nothing to do with
runtime cpu detection.

386 cpu is the minimal cpu that support usable protected mode.
It may be true that its speed is not usable for anything, but it would be the
lowest cpu to be implemented by emulation engine.

Indeed the most popular emulators like qemu or valgrind does support
newer CPU's but still...

> Sounds great.  So anybody against dropping support for 386 in
> runtime-cpudetection?
> Zuxy, come up with a patch, I doubt there will be objections.

No objection.