[MPlayer-dev-eng] win32 loader

Gianluigi Tiesi mplayer at netfarm.it
Tue Aug 29 23:54:21 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:48:18PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:34:43AM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
> > Rich Felker wrote:
> > >
> > > I would be very disappointed to see binary codec loader in FFmpeg.
> > > This crap should be removed and made obsolete, not expanded.
> >
> > There will always be new closed codecs without support.  At least a
> > binary codec interface closes the gap until a free implementation can be
> > created.
>
> And this is exactly why it takes so long for a free implementation to
> be created.... Also it only closes the gap for x86 users, and
> encourages people to use the non-free codec when encoding (they say
> "Linux users should just use the dll loader blah blah blah...").

hey my I really don't want my email become a flame :P
I don't see the point for ffmpeg to support binary codecs,
it's the "native" implementations of prior binary  only codecs
let's talk about fraps, with the support for the binary dll
the "native" implementation was made very fast.
Mplayer binary codec support is usefull imho but the code
is unmaintenable.
My goal is also to use directly e.g. vst plugins (without
the server wrapped by wine), binary only plugins to be adapted
to opensource code.
I'm not promoting closed source stuff, but there are a lot of closed
source stuff without a free software alternative, or better
software that needs support that free software cannot offer.
All of my code is gpl'ed but this doesn't mean that I don't look around

Other code is also not easly portable e.g. avisynth with a multitude
of plugins (all opensource)

and finally at this point, why don't remove at all win32 loader from mplayer
so equivalent codecs will be developed faster? true?
I'm really not able to make a decoder without even having a
working reference decoder.
corecodec avc decoder decodes at least three time faster than
mplayer or ffmpeg decoders. If someone want's to buy it,
why he cannot use it also on Linux?

If my request is not suitable for this ml, I can go talking
elsewhere, feel free to remove the current win32 "crap"
loader from mplayer, it's no my choice.

--
Gianluigi Tiesi <sherpya at netfarm.it>
EDP Project Leader