[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Reindentation of mplayer.c

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Mon Aug 21 16:31:57 CEST 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:01:04 +0200
Ivo <ivop at euronet.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What do you think of running GNU indent on mplayer.c and maybe on other
> files that have become pretty unreadable over the years and are
> unmaintained?
>
> Of course the default of indent is horrible (GNU coding style), so I came up
> with a set of command line options, which I believe match the most commonly
> accepted style for MPlayer. See the attached script.
>
> Any comments? Or flames? :)

1) why? Maybe I'm used to MPlayer code, but it doesn't look that bad.
Some part are surely more messy, but others are quite ok.

2) the problem with mplayer.c is not formatting, it's size. If a brace
is closed may pages after it has been opened, does it really matter
(for readability) how many spaces are in front of it?

3) imo if we really want to reindent it, it should be done only on the
parts that really need it, preserving as much as possible of the
original format, and only when somebody is going to work on that part
of the code.

Ciao,
 Roberto