[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Removing all trailing whitespace

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Mon Aug 21 16:05:11 CEST 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:49:30 +0200
Ivo <ivop at euronet.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How about running the following on the whole source tree:
>
> find . -name '*.[ch]' -exec sed -i 's/[ \t]*$//' {} \;
>
> and then:
>
> svn ci
>
> What do you think? I know it's only cosmetics, but since we reject all
> patches that contain trailing whitespace, isn't it time to clean up the
> whole tree?

How many lines are affected? If it touches a small number of files and
lines I'm ok with it, else I'm against it.

Trailing whitespaces are harmless, they don't mess up code indentation
and does not create any kind of problem with compilers or editors.
Having many lines changed just for removing trailing whitespaces will
just make diffs harder to read and mess up annotate.

But I'm ok with removing whitespaces and/or tabs from empty lines.

Ciao,
 Roberto