[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure vs #undef

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Aug 21 16:01:24 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 15:45 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> IMO configure should be the only place to #define system-dependent
> things, so if some header implicitly defines something then it's
> probably a bug and/or bad style.

It's not always obvious whether something is supposed to be a variable
managed by configure. I think the #undef lines do have some value.

> I've just tried that modification locally, it appears to work and the
> diffstat sure looks tempting:
>
>  1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 306 deletions(-)

It should be possible to write a function that allows the typical

if test "$_feature" = yes ; then
  _def_feature='#define HAVE_FEATURE 1'
else
  _def_feature='#undef HAVE_FEATURE'
fi
echores "$_feature"

to be written on one line and still have the #undefs.