[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Removing all trailing whitespace

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Aug 21 11:26:59 CEST 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 08:41:23PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:38:48AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> > I'm also wondering about converting tabs to spaces (only .h and .c files ;)
>
> I have no objection to doing this to files where tabs have been mixed
> with spaces, but I strongly object to applying this to properly-tabbed
> files. Files which use tabs correctly are much better with tabs.
>
> Also note that the following (where _________ indicates a tab) does
> not count as mixed tabs/spaces:
>
> ________foo = 1 + bar(...
> ________              ...
> ________             );
>
> but the following does:
>
> ________foo = 1 + bar(...
> ________________      ...
> ________________     );
>
> (The difference is that the former uses tabs as indention levels and
> spaces for character-level alignment, while the latter mixes tabs and
> spaces for character-level alignment assuming a tab is 8 spaces. The
> former is very good style while the latter is an abomination!)

It's surely a scenario that breaks when using different tab widths, but
I'd say it's just something that would have worked well if there had
only been spaces in the first place ;-p

It's also very hard to keep this style consistent, once several people
start editing and the code gets changed somebody will be less careful
and mess it up for sure...

Diego