[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Reindentation of mplayer.c

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Sun Aug 20 20:52:08 CEST 2006

On Sunday 20 August 2006 20:14, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 19:01:04 +0200
> > What do you think of running GNU indent on mplayer.c and maybe on other
> > files that have become pretty unreadable over the years and are
> > unmaintained?
> >
> > Of course the default of indent is horrible (GNU coding style), so I
> > came up with a set of command line options, which I believe match the
> > most commonly accepted style for MPlayer. See the attached script.
> >
> > Any comments? Or flames? :)
>
> If you want to do so and have an MPlayer coding style then imho:
> - do it on ALL files.
> - impose it to all devels
> - keep the shell script in TOOLS/ so that everytime someone adds a new
> file he just has to pass it to MPlayer's indent tools to have
> MPlayer'ished.

Yes, I was planning on having the script in TOOLS/, but I didn't dare to
suggest running it on all files considering that some people are really
fond of their own indentation style/layout. I don't think it does any harm
to have different coding styles, as long as it is readable. We wouldn't
want to impose strict rules on people and maybe scare them away. Missing
out on otherwise good code, just because the braces are on new lines after
an if-statement and it uses tabs instead of spaces, would be a pity.

But yeah, I am in favour of running the script on ALL non-maintained files
that look like crap at the moment.

--Ivo