[MPlayer-dev-eng] What's the use of '-unicode'?

陆然 hephooey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 05:09:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Saturday 19 August 2006 15:49, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Seems that only the libvo/ staff makes use of sub_unicode, so even the
> user provides -unicode in the command line, his ucs-2 encoded
> subtitles won't be recognized by subread.c. So what's the point
> exactly is here? Do we support ucs-2 encoded subtitles anyway?

AFAIK mplayer does not support ucs-2 subtitles, since mplayer only do the
converting after the subtitle is processed into a subtitle structure. And
ucs-2 subtitles will not even be recognized because the code assume the
codepage of subtitle is ascii compatible.

> We may need some clarification in documenting the usage of -unicode,
> -utf-8 and -subcp, too.

I think -unicode is misleading and does not have anything to do with ucs-2, it
should be called -two-bytes-code or something similar. The only thing the
code will do is mergeing two 8-bit char into a single char. It was used in
the old days with bitmap fonts, where you can generate a group of bitmaps
with gbk encoding from a font, then load a gbk subtitle with -unicode, so the
corresponding bitmap will be found according to their gbk code.

--
Best Regards,
LR