[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer libtremor patch

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 14:08:16 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 23:40, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Tremor was added back when there was no Vorbis decoder in FFmpeg.  Now
> that there is one and it has become faster than Tremor in 99% of all
> cases there is good reason to remove it again.

I would not call it a good reason. It only would make sense if Tremor was
broken with nobody available to fix it. But as long as it works fine on ARM
(and it does),  I don't see any reasons for you to spend your time and do some
work with the only goal to remove internal Tremor. Do you have nothing else
to do?

And if you think it is OK to hurt 1% of users, I would like to quote Linus
Torvalds: "the vast majority of people are part of a specific minority when it
comes to something"
http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000395.html

> I know you care about ARM and Tremor.  A good way to show your
> appreciation would be to help fix external Tremor support.

Not really. I do care about ARM, but don't particularly care about vorbis, it
is not so widely used after all. And I don't have much free time available for
open source development and there are things that have higher priority for me
(when speaking about MPlayer, these are optimized scaling and color conversion
for ARM).