[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Vorbis decoding performance

Guillaume POIRIER gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Wed Aug 9 09:49:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

Luca Barbato wrote:
> Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
>> Nice benchmark, but unfortunatly there's not START/STOP_TIMER implementation
>> for ARM :-(
>> Maybe I should try to implement one using the Xscale specific Performance
>> Monitor...
>
> there isn't an oprofile for arm?

Looks to me like it is http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/doc/requirements.html
However, IFAIK, Perfmon and oprofile serve different purposes here:
oprofile allow you to have a detailed breakdown of how much each
function of a program use hw ressources (such as CPU ticks) or how many
hw evens they cause (such as cache miss, branch miss prediction, ...)
Perfmon's main purpose is to expose some of these hw counters to
userland, and that's it. You may then build some big profiling app on
top of that, such as VTune... or simply just use Permon to implement
FFmpeg's START/STOP_TIMER  macros.

(All of the abose AFAIU oprofile and Perfmon)

Guillaume