[MPlayer-dev-eng] The road to rc1

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Mon Aug 7 10:03:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

Roberto Togni wrote:

> What about dvdnav patch? Looking at the many changes since pre8, it
> probably does not even apply anymore to current svn. Any news on it? do
> we still want it in? what needs to be changed?

I do think it would be good to merge it, but very few ppl in MPlayer
team have the knowledge/willingness to maintain it. Maybe Nico, but
other than him...
Do we want a big chunk of code that no one can/will maintain?

> Any other big patch i'm forgetting?

there's vf_overlay which AFAIK, is quite promising, but I don't
remember what prevented it from being merged... I think it's because
it's a bit invasive, but so was vf_ass, so will be dvdnav....
It looks like big patches are pretty much always invasive ^^

> As a target date i was thinking about September (2nd half), it could be
> nice to wait after SoC end to be able to include the SoC codecs.

Seconded. Native VC-1 really rocks!

> So what's your opinon about rc1?
>

> - integrate dvdnav before rc1, eventually release something else if
> dvdnav takes too much time (rc0?)

I hardly believe we can manage to do this.

> - release rc1 (and then rc2 or 1.0) without dvdnav

yep, dvdnav definitely won't make it for rc1 if it's due in September...

> - treat rc1 like every other release, and allow big changes (including
> dvdnav) between it and 1.0

like always! :-)

Guillaume