[MPlayer-dev-eng] The road to rc1

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Mon Aug 7 09:55:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Benjamin Zores wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:15:24 +0200
>> "Hervé W." <H.O.W.aka.V+mplayer at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Possibly releasing a RC0 (so not really a RC) instead of RC1 on the
>>> "deadline" has a certain appeal and thus giving dvdnav (and only
>>> dvdnav?) a second chance to make the deadline.
>>>

>> <joke>Why not RC(-1) then ;-)</joke>
>>
>> Imho it's pointless releasing because of time schedule.
>> We all want dvdnav in, so let's just start applying otvos' patch.
>>

> when you begin reading that patch, as I did, you wil realize that little
> of it
> can be committed as it is; most of his code needs a lot of rework

I'd like to point out that even though Attila's work is very valuable,
and that he proved to be quick to fix bugs that he was able to
reproduce, AFAIR, he hasn't splited his work in tiny patches which
have a chance to get merged.
Who else besides Attila is best suited to split the dvdnav patches?
So even though we all agree that MPlayer team hasn't been putting a
whole lot of effort in merging these patches, so does its author.

I'm not trying to say who is right and who is wrong... more trying to
see why the situation hasn't changed much since LinuxTag, except
Nico's cleanups of MPlayer's dvdnav.

Guillaume