[MPlayer-dev-eng] MKV files and subtitles charset

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 15:28:16 CEST 2006

From matroska technical description page, looks like UTF-8 is always used
at least for SRT and SSA subtitles:
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/index.html

I have 'subcp = cp1251' in my configuration file and seems like it also
affects MKV files resulting in wrong charset being displayed.

libmpdemux/demox_mkv.c contains function handle_subtitles() function which
sets sub_utf8 global variable to 1. But it does not have any effect.

By the way, this handle_subtitles() gets called after a few seconds of video
playback, probably at the moment where the first subtitled message should
appear. Maybe it is just called too late.