removing internal tremor (was: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] non-free and undistributable files in tremor/)

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 21:45:50 CEST 2006

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 21:22:51 +0200
Roberto Togni <r_togni at tiscali.it> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 21:00:06 +0200
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > OK, has somebody tested external tremor lately and can confirm that
> > it still works?
> >
> > So far nobody was against removing tremor, Dominik, Roberto, Reimar
> > and Uoti were in favor on IRC, saying that maybe external tremor
> > support should be tested beforehand.
> >
> > So if you wish to keep tremor, speak up soon ...
> >

> Well, without the "maybe". If external tremor is not working then
> removal of the internal one is not a good choice (unless it always
> outperforms ffvorbis)
>
> Does anybody remember why tremor was imported into the MPlayer cvs
> instead of being used as an external lib? Was it just a matter of
> easiness of use (difficult to get/compile like it was for faad) or
> there are other reasons? In any case, are those reason still valid?

Mainly the easiness of use, as the external tremor usually has to be
built from source, and the source is still available only from svn. It
was also faster than libvorbis, and ffvorbis was non-existent yet.

Neither I have any objections against its removal though, because most
of the reasons for keeping it are not valid anymore.

--
Jindrich Makovicka