removing internal tremor (was: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] non-free and undistributable files in tremor/)

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Aug 4 21:00:06 CEST 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:14:21PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:03:46PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 03:46:51AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > ffvorbis is way faster.  I vote for removing tremor, there appear to be
> > > no circumstances under which it is faster and many where it is
> > > considerably slower.
> >
> > i agree of course, theres should be just one case where tremor will be
> > faster then ffvorbis and that is if theres no FPU, for that case a
> > integer based imdct + windowing + ... would be nice to have in lavc
>
> Yes, of course, but this is a very special case that only affects very
> few people.  They can keep using the external tremor, which will remain
> supported for precisely that reason.

OK, has somebody tested external tremor lately and can confirm that it
still works?

So far nobody was against removing tremor, Dominik, Roberto, Reimar and
Uoti were in favor on IRC, saying that maybe external tremor support
should be tested beforehand.

So if you wish to keep tremor, speak up soon ...

Diego